Welcome to the Governors Page
As Chair of Governors I am very proud of our school and in particular of the staff team who work so hard to ensure the pupils are getting the very best opportunities to succeed.
The role of a Governor is one that covers all aspects of life within the school but most importantly we need to understand what the school wants to achieve and how it is going to succeed. We monitor the School Development Plan collaboratively and also have a range of individual responsibilities which include involvement in staff recruitment, staff appraisals, Safeguarding, the Single Central Record, Pupil Premium, Health and Safety, Ofsted preparation and having an overview of the financial management of the school.
Our role is also to challenge the Headteacher and Trustees to provide us with the evidence we need to do our job effectively.
I am very proud that The Milestone School remained open throughout the Covid 19 pandemic supporting pupils and their families during very challenging times.
It is so lovely to have the school fully functioning again with the staff now able to enrich the learning experience for all the pupils without restrictions.
Kate Hawkins, Chair of LAB
What are LABs?
Local Advisory Boards (LABs) are a key part of the governance structure within SAND Academies Trust and are integral to supporting the vision for the Trust in ensuring the individual identity of each school.
The Trust Board is the accountable body and has ultimate responsibility for the strategic functions of governance as follows:
- Ensuring there is clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils and the performance management of staff
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
What does the LAB do?
The LAB supports the Trustees in fulfilling the strategic functions at a local level and within the powers delegated to them through the Scheme of Delegation. The LAB will consider how the school is performing today as well as thinking about the future and how the school can improve in order to offer the best possible education and outcomes for its students.
The role of the LAB is to:
- Uphold SAND Academies Trust ethos, vision and aims and ensure these are embedded throughout the school and in all LAB discussions and decisions
- Ensure that the school promotes equality, diversity and inclusion for all its pupils, staff and stakeholders
- Behave in an honest and open way and follow the LAB Code of Conduct [link] and the seven Nolan Principles of public life
- Ensure the safety and wellbeing of pupils and staff at all times
- Build and maintain good relationships with the school, the trust, the headteacher, staff, pupils and other stakeholder groups
- Promote links with the school’s community at every opportunity
- Work with the central team to ensure the school is well supported, and promote positive relationships across the trust
- Attend and support school events where possible
- Ensure the school is clear and ambitious for the pupils and in line with the trust’s strategic plan
- Monitor targets for the school around pupil achievement, school improvement and curriculum development
- Ensure that the school is best able to achieve its objectives over the long term
- Hold the headteacher to account for the management of the school, delivery of pupil outcomes and for carrying out any LAB decisions.
Who make up the LAB?
Local Advisory Boards draw on different stakeholder groups for their membership. The different categories of LAB members are as follows:
- Staff – elected by the staff at the school
- Parent – elected by the parent/carer community at the school
- Headteacher – is an ex-officio member by virtue of their role in the school
- Community – representative of the local community or to bring a specific skillset
The following statutory information for SAND Academies Trust can be found on the SAND website https://www.sandmat.uk/governance/
- Governance structure – including statutory information for Members and Trustees
- Scheme of Delegation
- Terms of Reference for board committees and LABs
- Articles of Association
- Funding agreements
- Annual report and audited accounts
- Executive Pay statement
- Gender Pay Gap information
The Clerk to the LAB is Val Holliday. If you have any LAB related queries or need to contact Kate Hawkins, LAB Chair of Governors, please email email@example.com or write to her at The Milestone School, Longford Lane, Gloucester, GL2 9EU.
|Name||Category||Terms Commenced||Term Ends|
Terms of Office are for 4 years unless otherwise stated.
All members have voting rights.
Other lab details
LAB Meeting Dates
29 September 2022, 24 November 2022, 26 January 2023, 16 March 2023, 11 May 2023, 29 June 2023
LAB Register of Business & Pecuniary Interests
Governance Information, Annual Reports & Accounts
Please visit the SAND Academies Trust website for more details.
Governor Attendance 2022-23
Governor Attendance 2022-23
|THE MILESTONE SCHOOL – GOVERNOR ATTENDANCE 2022/23|
|NAME||CATEGORY||Local Advisory Board||ATTENDANCE %|
|Stephen Dowell||DEPUTY HEADTEACHER||Yes||Yes||Yes||100%|
|Not obligated to attend||NOA|
Governor Attendance 2021-22
Governor Attendance 2020-21
Governor Attendance 2019-20